The Johns Hopkins University Department of Biological Chemistry has over 100 years of distinguished history, outstanding research by remarkable faculty, and eminent graduates.
The Department of Biological Chemistry was established in 1908
to foster both basic research and teaching at the Johns Hopkins University
Medical School. The driving force for forming such a department was John Jacob Abel,
an early Professor at the Johns Hopkins University who had strong roots in
chemistry and medicine. Attesting to his strong interest in "biological
chemistry" Abel was the founding editor of the Journal of Biological Chemistry and was
instrumental in founding the American Society of
Biological Chemistry (now the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular
Biology.) This early start led to a long tradition of excellence in basic
science at the Johns Hopkins Medical School.
From its inception the department has been at the
forefront of research and pre- and post-doctoral training. The
present graduate program in Biochemistry,
Cellular and Molecular Biology (BCMB) in the Medical School grew out of one
of the first graduate Biochemistry training grants awarded to the department by
the National Institutes of Health in the 1950's. The current graduate program
in Biological Chemistry
includes approximately 30 students. Numerous eminent researchers have
received their training in our graduate programs.
The Department of Biological Chemistry continues to be in the forefront of cutting-edge research. Our seventeen primary faculty members and colleagues are making great strides to generate and disseminate new knowledge and original concepts in biochemistry and molecular biology through creative research and scholarship.